Monday, June 8, 2009

Content from June 7th Celebration

Summary

Ken talked about corporate prayer at Celebration last night.
It might feel like a teaching you've heard before,
but the way he went about the issue was new.
He explained that God reveals threads of a person's destiny at the moment of their "new birth".

For us as individuals, our "new birth"
is the moment we surrender to Jesus.
For us as a community,
it was when we started meeting together.

If you aren't familiar with the origins of Norman Community Church,
we started as a group of people meeting consistently
to pray for the "Church in Norman".
The point of the teaching was to encourage us
not to discount prayer as seasonal,
but embrace it as a part of our community's destiny.

This teaching is a really good message for all of us, not just our intercessors.

I will confess that I am not a "prayer person".
Meaning the thought of praying for long,
extended periods of time feels exhausting.
I find more enjoyment in being a "doer of the word".
I want to be having the conversations, meeting the needs, etc...

I was reminded last night that the work of our hands,
will only be fruitful if it is first, covered in prayer.

Listen to the teaching by clicking HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Our two 24hr prayer sessions this past semester really blessed me with a better understanding of this idea and teaching. Even with attending corporate prayer previously, I had never truly experienced focusing in prayer for an hour or more. 24hr prayer, however, came to be an incredibly sweet time and both meetings resulted in some of the most fruitful and intimate prayers I've ever had. It's cool how our community facilitates living out the doctrines we learn and address. Now, when I hear a message like this regarding prayer I can be excited rather than intimidated by the prospect of praying for an extended time period. The call of this message need not be a burden--but instead can yearned for, pursued and enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete